- FOGL Author Grant 2018: Friends of Griffin-Spalding County Library for their grant proposal for children’s author Danny Schnitzlein
- FOGL Fabulous Friends Award 2018: Friends of the Hart County Library
- FOGL Best Friend Award 2018: Sig Hall (Fayette County)
Congratulations! Hope to see you at FOGL Spring Workshop, this Friday, April 20th.
NOTICE OF ANNUAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING OF FRIENDS OF GEORGIA LIBRARIES, INC.
TO: All Members of Friends of Georgia Libraries, Inc.
Notice is hereby given, pursuant to Article V of the Bylaws, that the Annual Membership Meeting of Friends of Georgia Libraries, Inc. shall be held on Friday, April 20, 2018, at 10:30 a.m., at the Nancy Guinn Memorial Library, 864 Green Street, Conyers, GA, 30012. All members in good standing shall be eligible to vote on all matters that come before the meeting requiring a vote. Each Individual Member shall be entitled to one (1) vote. Local Friends Organizations shall have up to five (5) votes. The following business shall be conducted:
- Election of Directors – (a simple majority of members present is needed to elect Directors);
- Amendment of Bylaws. The Board of Directors has recommended that the Bylaws be amended, in part, to add additional categories of membership (Article 2.1); to reduce the number of Directors from fifteen (15) to ten (10)(Article 4.1); add the Immediate Past Chair as a non-voting member of the Board of Directors (Article 4.8); change the Annual month from April to October (Article 5.2); provide for Special Membership Meetings (Article 5.3); change the officer designations of President and Vice President to Chair and Chair-Elect (Articles 6.3 and 6.4) – (Amendments to the Bylaws require a two-thirds majority vote of the members present);
- Such other business as may properly be brought before the meeting.
Saturday — May 27, 2017, 9:00 am-3:00 pm. The Friends of the Decatur Library will host their annual Memorial Holiday book sale. The sale will be held on the lawn, in front of the Decatur Library. Proceeds provide funds for library materials; and children’s and adults programs. Only cash or checks will be accepted. Dealers must scan at tables. If it rains, no worries; the sale will be inside the library. Family fun for everyone. Admission is free! Remember — May 27, 2017, time: 9:00 am-3:00 pm, location: Decatur Library, 215 Sycamore Street, Decatur, GA, and fun for everyone.
FOGL would like to thank the Friends of Decatur Library and the Decatur Public Library for hosting our Annual Meeting and Spring Workshop. FOGL is about Friends helping Friends. Contact us if your Friends group has a booksale or other event.
And don’t forget Friends of the Decatur Library Annual Memorial Holiday Book Sale on May 27th!
FOGL Spring Workshop will be held on Friday, April 28, 2017 at the Decatur Public Library Auditorium in Decatur, GA. The theme is “Building a Better Library” and will feature topics essential to any Friends group:
- Friends Helping Friends — How to Start a Friends Group
and/or Build Memberships
- Organizational Help — Structuring Your Friends Group
and Applying for 501C3 Status
- Grants and Awards — Fundraising that Works! Build a Better Book Sale and other ideas
- Love Your Library — How to Advocate for Your Library in Your Community and Beyond
The event will also feature special guests: authors Terry Kay and Thomas Mullen.
Do you or your company need an end of the year tax deduction? Do you love libraries and want to help Friends groups? Then join FOGL to help Friends groups support Georgia libraries.
Join from our web page (http://georgia-friends.org/fogl-membership-form), today!
Friends of Georgia Libraries, Inc. keeps all personal information private and does not share members’ phone numbers, addresses, or e-mail addresses with third parties. Friends of Georgia Libraries is a non-profit 501-c-3 organization. Your donations are tax deductible.
Georgia Public Library Service is looking for the 10 most beautiful public libraries in Georgia. Nominations will be judged on the overall design of the building, both in form and function, and in its timelessness of style. Nominated facilities must currently be in use as a public library in Georgia. Nominations will be accepted online through midnight December 31, 2016. Please include the name of the library, street address, and up to 400 words explaining why this is the one of the most beautiful libraries in Georgia. Please send any supporting materials, including up to 3 pictures, to email@example.com.
The 10 most beautiful libraries will be announced in the spring of 2017. Winners will receive a plaque and be honored at a reception and press conference to be held at one of the winning libraries. Each facility will also be prominently featured in printed and online materials promoting them as worthy stops for architectural-and literary-based tourism.
The panel of judges includes staff at GPLS and an architectural historian. GPLS encourages all to share this message with Friends and Trustees.
- Georgia Public Library of the Year will be presented to an individual facility or library system whose staff best exemplifies the qualities needed to positively impact the lives of residents in the communities it serves. Nominations for library systems that include multiple locations must demonstrate the integration of each facility to the overall impact of the system as a whole.
- Georgia Public Librarian of the Year will be presented to a full-time and professionally licensed practicing public librarian whose innovative and creative talents are instrumental in the delivery of outstanding library service to his or her library and the communities it serves, as well as dedication and commitment to the state and profession as a whole. The winner must be employed by a public library for at least 9 months of the award year.
- Georgia Public Library Champion of the Year will be presented to an outstanding advocate whose support significantly raised the profile of libraries and improved services during the award year. Honorees may include, but are not limited to, elected officials, authors, library board members or members of Friends of Georgia Libraries or local Friends groups who were not employed in any capacity by a library during the award year.
- Georgia Public Library Lifetime Achievement award may be given each year to a retired Georgia librarian for extraordinary service to Georgia public libraries throughout his/her career. Special emphasis is placed on the long-lasting impact of their work: nominees must be retired from full-time work for three years before being nominated. Given these special requirements, this award may not be presented each year.
Please submit your nominations by clicking on the award titles above. Nominations may be submitted by public library directors, trustees, members of Friends groups, and GPLS staff members. If you need more space or have additional support materials, please submit via email to wcornelisen@georgialibrarie
The awards selection committee comprises five members of the GPLS team. The selection process will be conducted in November and winners will be notified in December.
Formal award presentations will be scheduled for early 2017 at times and locations based on the preferences of each winner and for ensuring the maximum amount of local publicity for each award.
With the support of the Lana and Michael Porter Foundation, five Friends Groups were awarded $250 each in honor of their celebrations in 2007, 2008, and 2009. In 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, and 2015, two groups were awarded $250 each.
National Friends of Libraries Week Award applicants must provide a one- to two-page summary of all activities and efforts in conjunction with the celebration of National Friends of Libraries Week. Applicants will be judged on creativity and innovation; involvement of Friends, library staff, Trustees, and/or advisory committee; recognition of Friends group, and promotion of Friends group to the community, school, students, and/or faculty.
United for Libraries has created a variety of resources to help Friends, Trustees, and library staff celebrate in their community.